Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4capitals

Latest Caps Rumor

30 posts in this topic

According to a Russian newspaper, the Caps are in contract discussions with a 33 year old Russian defenseman, Ilya Nikulin, who plays in the KHL. It does not appear he has ever played in the NHL but he has played on the Russian National team that won a couple of World Championships. He probably has played with Ovie and maybe Ovie recommended him to the Caps. However, if the Caps sign him I don't see him being anything more than a 7th defenseman. I found this on the NoVaCaps blog but have not seen it anywhere else so I don't know how reliable this report is but I thought it was worth posting. Not much else is going on.

It makes sense, given the uncertainty of whether Orlov will be fully healed and effective this year. It's a low-risk scenario, and with age being a factor, I don't see a "break the bank" situation. More than anything, this is his last opportunity to play in the NHL, and Ovie is helping him realize the dream.

Just my $.02

Box

I would expect that he will not come over here for a minimum salary so I wonder how the Caps will fit him under the salary cap. This is interesting to say the least.

I said before that I didn't think we were done yet.

It would most definitely involve a trade.....

Personally, I would be pretty happy with this move.  More than a little.

In my head, I see Mojo being shipped and it being part of a three way deal...........Can Mojo still be shipped?

I would love for us to get this guy.

I think the cap space would be better used for signing an experienced offensive vet.

Why?

In my head, I see Mojo being shipped and it being part of a three way deal...........

Get some sleep Lil! :P

I would expect that he will not come over here for a minimum salary so I wonder how the Caps will fit him under the salary cap. This is interesting to say the least.

And I would argue that a 33 year old, that has not played a minute in the NHL and most likely has lost a step would not command top dollar, regardless of who he is or whom his best friend is. We all know that there's difficulty with Euro's transitioning to a North American game... Even harder if your getting up in age. Honestly, I doubt this will pan out, unless it's for minimum. Too much risk involved.

Box

According to a Russian newspaper, the Caps are in contract discussions with a 33 year old Russian defenseman, Ilya Nikulin, who plays in the KHL. It does not appear he has ever played in the NHL but he has played on the Russian National team that won a couple of World Championships. He probably has played with Ovie and maybe Ovie recommended him to the Caps. However, if the Caps sign him I don't see him being anything more than a 7th defenseman. I found this on the NoVaCaps blog but have not seen it anywhere else so I don't know how reliable this report is but I thought it was worth posting. Not much else is going on.

I like it and not just because I like the guy (and I definitely like him)

Caps are in all in mode right now. Anything that might make them better even marginally is considered and acted upon.

Two years or total restructure - that is basically how I see it and like that there is no desperation here.

Business like attitude and calculated risks.

And yeah he is good and he is definitely a keeper. Reliable D with a decent puck moving skills having a ton of experience playing big matches on international arena. Level head and a good character guy.

Getting him under the cup will be a problem though. He is a family man so he cannot sell himself cheap as did a bunch of Russian guys this summer. His asking price should be around 2.75 but I believe he will be worth every penny of it. 

I like it and not just because I like the guy (and I definitely like him)

Caps are in all in mode right now. Anything that might make them better even marginally is considered and acted upon.

Two years or total restructure - that is basically how I see it and like that there is no desperation here.

Business like attitude and calculated risks.

And yeah he is good and he is definitely a keeper. Reliable D with a decent puck moving skills having a ton of experience playing big matches on international arena. Level head and a good character guy.

Getting him under the cup will be a problem though. He is a family man so he cannot sell himself cheap as did a bunch of Russian guys this summer. His asking price should be around 2.75 but I believe he will be worth every penny of it. 

The god awful/beyond terrible Brooks Laich contract strikes again and is once again hurting the team in making them better....

A 33yo KHL player who's never played in the NHL. . . ?

K this can't be real. . . Unless they need a skate coach in Hershey

If he was worth a fukk he'd of been over here by now.

With all due respect the world does not have North America or NHL at its center. 

Some players prefer to stay in their native countries just, you know, to raise their kids so their grand moms could see them on every day basis or have a nice pay check without a need to learn new language. This does not make them less talented or less hard working.

And yes he is worth a fukk and more. If you had not have an opportunity to see him play it might be worth just to read about a player a bit before forming your opinion of him. Definitely would not hurt.

Or you might just respect Ovi's opinion of him. Number 8 definitely knows a bit about hockey would not you think?

2 people like this

The god awful/beyond terrible Brooks Laich contract strikes again and is once again hurting the team in making them better....

Yes and yes and yes. 

However we cannot dwell on mistakes done by GMGM forever.  

And who knows Brooks might come back with a swing this year.

I do not remember when was it - four, five years ago - we were watching a game with my friend and the whole team seemed to accept they were going to loose. And I remember I said: "If anybody is going to score it is going to be Laich". And he did. 

Unless proven otherwise GMBM seems to know what he is doing. 

I choose to be on optimistic side of things at least for now. (-8

2 people like this

Uh Oh!

someone's challenging your Alpha male status dude!

Actually, he has a point...... :unsure:  :lol:

With all due respect the world does not have North America or NHL at its center.

Some players prefer to stay in their native countries just, you know, to raise their kids so their grand moms could see them on every day basis or have a nice pay check without a need to learn new language. This does not make them less talented or less hard working.

And yes he is worth a fukk and more. If you had not have an opportunity to see him play it might be worth just to read about a player a bit before forming your opinion of him. Definitely would not hurt.

Or you might just respect Ovi's opinion of him. Number 8 definitely knows a bit about hockey would not you think?

I expect Ovie to say the right thing to reporters. And it's not like he's Slava Fetisov

And I don't watch or follow the KHL because i don't care to see 15 players pretending to be Pavel Datsyuk on ice the size of a football field with rules that make less sense than Bettmans

Either way, there is little to no way a 33yo with no NHL experience is going to step in to the NHL, particularly with a system like coaches, and worth sitting one of our guys for. At 23 and 6'2 230, maybe, but not 33 .

I expect Ovie to say the right thing to reporters. And it's not like he's Slava Fetisov

And I don't watch or follow the KHL because i don't care to see 15 players pretending to be Pavel Datsyuk on ice the size of a football field with rules that make less sense than Bettmans

Either way, there is little to no way a 33yo with no NHL experience is going to step in to the NHL, particularly with a system like coaches, and worth sitting one of our guys for. At 23 and 6'2 230, maybe, but not 33 .

Oh damn! This is definately gonna happen now AND the guy is gonna win the Norris. lol 

Well, if we send down or release the following, heres what their hit is

Send

G  Grubs or Peters to Hershey   - $750k-900k

D  Ryan Stanton to Hershey     -$575k

D Taylor Chorney to Her     - $700k

F Zach Sill to Her   -$575k

Equals= Roughly 2.6 mill

Well, if we send down or release the following, heres what their hit is

Send

G Grubs or Peters to Hershey - $750k-900k

D Ryan Stanton to Hershey -$575k

D Taylor Chorney to Her - $700k

F Zach Sill to Her -$575k

Equals= Roughly 2.6 mill

And a 33yo KHLer will be better than any of those? Particularly should we loose one or more to waivers if applicable?

Why not, whos Chorney or Stanton anyhow, Ilya is proven Dman in the KHL, been a staple on D for the National team for years

Why not, whos Chorney or Stanton anyhow, Ilya is proven Dman in the KHL, been a staple on D for the National team for years

Operative word(s): KHL. Playing on what looks like a frozen golf course without the sophistication or physicality of this league. . .

It's just a story and a unicorn. . . If (or when) Orlov goes down bring one of our guys up to fill in, instead if burning a contract on a KHL guy