#201 Thextus

Thextus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

I think it's even more funny how much stock people are putting in these rumors. Aftrr all, we've had 16 years to learn that GMGM plays it close to the vest.....isn't that enough time for fans to learn not to trust anything until it's finalized? :)
It's not about who scores or who plays defense, it's about winning. -- Tony Azevedo, Captain, US Water Polo Team

#202 OldHat

OldHat

King Jackass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,592 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

I think it's even more funny how much stock people are putting in these rumors. Aftrr all, we've had 16 years to learn that GMGM plays it close to the vest.....isn't that enough time for fans to learn not to trust anything until it's finalized? :)

Yeah, I don't mean to suggest that any of these should be taken as gospel, just that they are out there and may be interesting to ponder.  Maybe some were completely made up, maybe some came from a simple conversation, and maybe some are players that GMGM is legitimatley interested in acquiring.

Eklund was right about Grabo... :ph34r:

DHH

raiders.gif One Nation

BOOOOO  Beeeees!!!

1653345dcdf5ba934b.jpg

emoticon-object-017.gif

#203 OldHat

OldHat

King Jackass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,592 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

More E-rated Caps rumours:

On Ryan Miller...

It's picking up. The Islanders are now tied with the Blues in my opinion with the Caps being not far behind....Will it happen before the Olympics? No one knows, but I still believe it won't.

On Tuomo Ruutu....

Tuomo is a character guy who can be a difference maker in the playoffs...the Blue Jackets are looking very much like a playoff team right now....The Caps have interest as well...

DHH

raiders.gif One Nation

BOOOOO  Beeeees!!!

1653345dcdf5ba934b.jpg

emoticon-object-017.gif

#204 Sidewinder8

Sidewinder8

Ding dong, the witch is dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

More E-rated Caps rumours:

On Ryan Miller...

It's picking up. The Islanders are now tied with the Blues in my opinion with the Caps being not far behind....Will it happen before the Olympics? No one knows, but I still believe it won't.

On Tuomo Ruutu....

Tuomo is a character guy who can be a difference maker in the playoffs...the Blue Jackets are looking very much like a playoff team right now....The Caps have interest as well...

:lol: This is hilarious. Apparently the Caps are interested in everyone.

$10 says we don't get more than one player, and that one player won't even be a big piece. 

"We don’t see any real difference in terms of ability to play between a Brooks and, if you look around the league, a Mike Fisher in Nashville, Mike Richards in L.A. or David Backes in St. Louis. Same type of players." -George McPhee

#205 mbayne

mbayne

Puck-Moving D-Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

$10 says we don't get more than one player, and that one player won't even be a big piece. 

This.

McFail is infatuated with re-treads, throw-aways, and the like. In 17 years, he's made 2 big name signings: Jagr & Federov. I'm not expecting anything other than cold leftover pizza come deadline day ... And, actually, that is a good thing. His eye for talent is suspect at best.

#206 OldHat

OldHat

King Jackass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,592 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

There's no reason to resort to hyperbole. -_-

DHH

raiders.gif One Nation

BOOOOO  Beeeees!!!

1653345dcdf5ba934b.jpg

emoticon-object-017.gif

#207 NJCapsfan1969

NJCapsfan1969

Trotz is in charge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts
  • LocationRight on the Chinese Border

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

I'll be happy enough if he doesn't F up the Grabo situation let alone try and aquire what is the "missing piece" in his delusional mind. Even when he does manage to find talent he seems to screw it up in the end.

NJC

40 years is long enough, time to bring the Stanley Cup to D.C.

#208 zerofox

zerofox

Excited for this season!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Well when you have a GM that you don't have faith in to make moves, you need to take rumors and pretend they're the real deal :D

Otherwise you just go crazy.

#209 Thextus

Thextus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

Well when you have a GM that you don't have faith in to make moves, you need to take rumors and pretend they're the real deal :D

Otherwise you just go crazy.

Speak for yourself. :)
It's not about who scores or who plays defense, it's about winning. -- Tony Azevedo, Captain, US Water Polo Team

#210 Carlson74fan

Carlson74fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, MD

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:36 AM

The Ryan Miller rumors could be legit for a number of reasons:

1. With the new CBA teams are able to retain some salary in a trade, so it's not a given that the Caps would have to shoulder Miller's entire cap hit and salary and Buffalo might be willing to do it if they want to get something good in return for Miller.

2. GMGM's history of acquiring veteran goaltenders when we didn't see it coming - Huet, Theodore, Vokoun

3. It would make sense from Buffalo's perspective to trade Miller to the Caps because the Caps have young talented goaltenders that would be enticing such as Neuvirth who has a year left on his contract and is an RFA next summer not a UFA.

4. The 2014 draft is said to be a fairly weak draft once you get outside the top-5 so GMGM might be more than willing to part with a 1st round pick (remember 2011 when he traded a 1st rounder for Brouwer).

5. While it's true that we don't necessarily need a goaltender, Miller would be an immediate upgrade from Holtby who's struggled all season (and may not get his swag back for all we know) and Neuvirth who has been decent but hasn't exactly been stellar either this season or in his career here. Given the defensive problems this team has (which can't be solved anyway by simply adding one d-man imo) the next best thing is to add a goaltender who can steal some games for you and is someone who could get red hot come playoff time and stand on his head. I wouldn't be holding my breath for Holtby or Neuvy to do it. Let's face it, the playoffs come down to goaltending and this franchise has never had a guy like Miller come playoff time (Kolzig had a good run in 98 and that was it). Plus Miller has proven to be durable throughout his career. 

6. Young goaltenders (early to mid-20's) rarely win cups, and the ones that have are better than what we currently have. How long should Nicky and Ovie be expected to wait for either Holtby or Neuvy to get good enough to be a potential cup winning goalie? 4-5 years? Nicky and Ovie are both in their prime and management should be taking advantage of their best years, and acquiring Miller would be one way to do it.

7. Acquiring a goal scorer or lockdown d-man is going to be difficult, possibly expensive, and may not completely address the problems this team has offensively and defensively. The goalie market is a buyer's market right now whereas the foward/d-man market is said to be a seller's market. No guarantee that we would get a player like Moulson and if we did other teams like the Penguins and Kings bidding on him would drive the price up. Neuvy, a 1st round pick and another young roster player or Hershey guy might get it done for Miller.

8. GMGM might be tight lipped about any possible deals, but that doesn't mean that the teams he's been talking to have been/are going to be. We shouldn't put too much weight into "if we hear a rumor it can't be true because we know GMGM didn't leak it."

9. It would energize a frustrated and upset fan base.

Welcome to the Trotz era!

#211 zerofox

zerofox

Excited for this season!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:30 AM

I wouldn't want to bring over Miller unless we can guarantee that we resign him. If we give up stuff for him and he walks, what a waste!

#212 PucktotheHead

PucktotheHead

Thread Tanker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • LocationLoudoun County

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

such as Neuvirth who has a year left on his contract and is an RFA next summer not a UFA.

Neuvy is a UFA after next season not an RFA. 

I'm not happy, until you're not happy.  ;)

#213 Mickstix

Mickstix

Let's see what is!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,339 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

4. The 2014 draft is said to be a fairly weak draft once you get outside the top-5

6. Young goaltenders (early to mid-20's) rarely win cups, and the ones that have are better than what we currently have. How long should Nicky and Ovie be expected to wait for either Holtby or Neuvy to get good enough to be a potential cup winning goalie?

7. Acquiring a goal scorer or lockdown d-man is going to be difficult, possibly expensive, and may not completely address the problems this team has offensively and defensively.

9. It would energize a frustrated and upset fan base.

4. A top 5 pick is certainly not out of this teams reach.

6. Holtby, just last year, was good enough to win a series, but our team couldn't score a goal..

7. Is Miller not going to be expensive or completely address the teams problems?

9. I'd be pissed if they wasted a pick, prospect or big $$ on a rental goalie at this point, trying to mask a poor defense and scoring depth.

34ywrxy.jpg

#214 Pigskin

Pigskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

surely it has to reliant on Miller signing on for some years

but even if he did, I wouldn't spend the $7 million it would take on him per year for god knows how long

and what other pieces will be involved ? minor prospects and picks, neuvy, erat fine ... but anything more and :angry:

no Orlov, Mojo, Wilson, Burakovsky types

I think the Holtby/Grubi combo at under $2.5 million for two years and not much more than that for even more years is the way to go at this point ... with Grabo, better D and better wingers in front of them

#215 TheEllsProject

TheEllsProject

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGalax, VA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

I go back and forth on the Miller idea.

I tend to agree with those who think that we will do the GMGM thing and "stand pat" if only because I can see the Caps going on a little streak here before the Olympic break, thus negating GMGM's urgency to make a move.

He's never seemed like a knee-jerk kind of guy, and after 6th and 7th losses in a row I was pretty certain we'd see something, but I'm glad he's still waiting on the right offers for Neuvy and Erat. Hopefully, his "patience"  with Erat's request will at least net us something worth a damn closer to the deadline than had we traded him immediately (if anything a pick or something to package away for something else)

If we have to trade Neuvy then we have to bring on another goaltender because Holtby isn't going to get us to the Cup by himself this year. So if you are GMGM you can only look at upgrading the position, I think, so it makes sense he's shopping for an elite goalie. If the Caps get Miller it does make them a better team, IMO..and if GMGM is under a "deep run or get fired" ultimatum then I can see him doing something like this.

I don't know what's best for the team and I really don't want them to "blow it up." But to continue to blow through Ovi's career without sniffing the EC finals is gut-wrenching and to admit we're not good enough and need more time to develop Oates' system with the right players (ie.. season or two of re-tooling) is a nightmare, considering the "success" the past 8 or so years.

Having said all that, I can see GMGM going overboard to secure Miller. 

#216 Carlson74fan

Carlson74fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Neuvy is a UFA after next season not an RFA. 

You're right, I got him and Holtby confused. In any case Neuvy has a year left on his contract and would be a young talented goalie that Buffalo would probably want. 

#217 Carlson74fan

Carlson74fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

4. A top 5 pick is certainly not out of this teams reach.

6. Holtby, just last year, was good enough to win a series, but our team couldn't score a goal..

7. Is Miller not going to be expensive or completely address the teams problems?

9. I'd be pissed if they wasted a pick, prospect or big $$ on a rental goalie at this point, trying to mask a poor defense and scoring depth.

4. a top-5 pick is possible, but unless they continue to play as badly as they have been it's not likely. Even in the theory that a top-5 pick could happen, it might still be worth it to give it up unless that pick could be a 40-goal scorer or franchise d-man.

6. Holtby was solid in the series against the Rangers but he did give up some goals he shouldn't have, and in spite of his overall effort he's regressed badly this year. The question would be whether or not he could be trusted to really be a franchise goaltender. Miller already is.

7. As I said, Buffalo could retain some of his salary and cap space, and while Miller might ask for $6-$7 million a season, enough cap space could potentially be cleared to make room if they ship out Neuvy, Erat and possibly another player. Not to mention that it might make the Caps situation more enticing to other free agents seeing that the likes of Ovie, Nicky AND a goalie the caliber of Miller is here. Plus there won't be much of a market for Miller to go elsewhere during the summer which shouldn't jack the price up that much. I'm assuming he doesn't want to go to Calgary, Edmonton or Florida, and most other teams already have a franchise goaltender. And while Miller doesn't completely address the team's issues, a franchise goaltender can make up for them. Bringing in a Moulson wouldn't necessarily solve all of this team's issues either (don't get me wrong I'd love to have Moulson here), but an elite goaltender can get them into the playoffs and carry them come playoff time which is something this franchise has never had.

9. I agree they would have to be able to negotiate with him on an extension prior to making a trade for the package they would likely give up, but same thing would go for Moulson who's also a UFA this summer. As far as a pick, prospect or big money goes, they would probably have to give up that package for any top player they would trade for, and several of those guys are in the same UFA boat as Miller, Moulson being one of them. It also depends on what the pick is they give up and who the prospect would be. I wouldn't have a problem with giving up one of our goalies, a 1st rounder, plus an "okay" roster player or Hershey guy for Miller.

My point in all of this is that the rumors shouldn't be completely ignored and isn't that far-fetched.

#218 DC_LADY_1908

DC_LADY_1908

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

Seriously, do we really need a goalie right now?  I mean, is our problem offense or defense?  If we can't even answer the basics, we are filling holes for which we aren't sure there is a desire or requirement for.

I've heard so many "we need x" to fix our problem statements I'm not even sure we know what the real problem is!

We need scoring, we need good D, we need energetic 110% in the game till the last second players, we need better goalies, etc.  Are these "needs" or are these "wants"?  If we can't live w/o it, then it's a need. 

#219 streve

streve

Go hump your St. Bernard!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationB-More

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

From Eklund's site....take it for what it's worth, which isnt much:

There is little doubt this is heating up. Miller rumors are everywhere this morning in an almost calculated way as to drive up value...A source tells me that four teams are looking and right now Buffalo may be able to justify getting a bit less for Miller...by not having to be on the hook for his salary during the Olympics...

But a very little less. The price for Miller is where it should be. Sky High. Teams involved...The Islanders, the Blues, and the Caps...There are many saying another team, which has remained under the radar is involved heavily. Could be the Pens....could be someone else. 

The Sabres are going to make these teams work for this though, and I would say there is still a good bet it doesn't get done today or even this week...by February 8th? very possible. By the deadline...all but assured.

Note: A source close to the situation just linked the uptake in Miller talk to the Sabres perhaps doing a little negotiation strategizing here in their inevitable attempt to keep Miller and extend him. Not sure. Everyone you talk to who is close to Ryan says it isn't about money at this point...it is about winning a Stanley Cup. That is priority #1.

More on Miller....

http://fansided.com/...-miller/#!tyWNV

FWIW, and things can always change, as of now, I don't believe MIN is close to any deal with anyone. Wild may require a goalie...

...if Harding is out long term but with only 5 games left before Oly break, likely to ride it out until then to get clearer read on status.

I don't doubt BUF intends to trade Ryan Miller but I don't sense anything is necessarily imminent, even tho rumors seem to be rampant.

I hate tweeting something NOT close because landscape shifts quickly - one phone call can do it - and if so, all I can do is look is wrong.

But my best information is MIN isn't close on anything and BUF is working to move Miller but nothing imminent. As of this moment anyway.

Twitter - Streve4Caps

#220 streve

streve

Go hump your St. Bernard!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationB-More

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

With less than 2 weeks away from the Olympic freeze, some teams are picking up the phones a little more frequently now.

Things can obviously change, but sure sounds like the Canadiens are onto something soon. They've been looking for a winger to add to top-6.

P.A. Parenteau is already a healthy scratch for tonight's game too.

Twitter - Streve4Caps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users