Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OldHat

The Official Trade Deadline Thread 2014 - 3.05.14 3pm

823 posts in this topic

Agreed.  Don't want to lose Fehr.

This deal sounds so one-sided against the Caps that it's probably not only true, but also inevitable.

Not a fan of losing Fehr either.. not again. 

I'm not completely against trading for Miller, though, because it does make this team better now. I can't see how it doesn't. Holtby needs more maturing and the mentoring couldn't hurt. Two seasons with Miller could be huge.

If they sense Holtby is "broken," as some say Olie has done to him, (even Holtby is fighting it. I remember during one post game how, when asked about a goal against, he said he wanted/wished to play shots farther out) then use some sharp GM skills (I know I know) to unload him while the value is high and let Miller mentor Grubauer for those years (and maybe extension)

What the Caps can get for Holtby at the beginning of next season (a solid high pick in, possibly, a better draft) and from trading Neuvy (and likely Erat, at the least) should provide the ammo and room to be able to get the D man we want and need.

Provided we aren't the most enduring destination for the majority of those high-end D for sale this year it's possible GMGM realizes we can't make that play at this time and so the piece that makes them immediately better and more confident every night is someone like Miller.

I'd risk the 1st pick in the upcoming draft gambling that Ryan Miller gets us in the playoffs and that pick value drops significantly. 

I don't like the idea of a rental with no re-sign, but i could talk myself into liking the trade if it wasn't crazy drastic

I definitely don't like the rumored Miller deal. I think GMGM is making a last ditch risky trade to try to salvage his job. But he could very well screw the team over by doing so.

1) Biggest question- will Miller even resign? If we're giving up Neuvy + Fehr and picks, and Miller doesn't resign, that would be THE dumbest move ever. No way I'd want to give up that much for a rental, not in this particular year. Why? Because I think our shot at winning it all is hilariously low already. I'd be okay with a deal like this if we were already 1st in the league, one of the favorites to win the cup, and adding Miller was a game changer that basically makes everyone say "okay, Caps are 100% going to win." Adding Miller this season would make our crap stink less, but it's still crap and it still stinks.

2) Even IF Miller resigns and does so for a few years, I'm not thrilled about losing Fehr. The picks, okay. Neuvy, fine. But why throw in Fehr? How about a 4th liner that no one cares too much either way about? Fehr actually provides a decent scoring threat. I could see him serving alongside a true blue 30+ goal scorer on the 2nd line, or doing damage himself on the 3rd line. 

3) Still don't know why GMGM hasn't addressed our offense/defense.... 

FWIW, Bob McKenzie interviewed on NBCSN a little bit ago and did not mention the Caps as a team that was interested in Miller. 

Why would Buffalo want a 4th liner that no one cares too much either way about?

That's just fantasy of fans wanting to give up their crap to get gold, in this case a 4th liner in a deal for Miller.

Why would Buffalo want a 4th liner that no one cares too much either way about?

Well FWIW what I've been hearing along with this rumor is that Fehr is included purely to clear cap space.  I'd hate to see him go, he's one of the few guys we have that really is a bargain for his cap hit.  I think he gets a raw deal pretty often too with being scratched or demoted and I don't understand why.  

Hypothetically, though, if there really is something to this rumor and if Fehr really is included just for the cap space, who are you going to send Buffalo instead of him?  There aren't many guys around his cap hit, it'd be ideal to send Erat I guess, but Buffalo being ok with taking on Fehr's 1.5 definitely doesn't mean they'll be ok with taking Erat's 4.5.  There's Erskine, Chimera, and Johansson between 1.5 and 2.0.  I guess Erat with 3.0 retained would be best but I'm pretty sure I've heard GMGM say he would never retain salary so if he means it then that's out of the picture.

I take your point with regard to fantasy rosters.

I think it just highlights moves that "could" be made, but never are when your GM doesn't make any moves at all except the wrong ones like for Miller.

All good, just not the thread for it.

The Miller rumors to the Caps must have legs... continually showing up across most sites.

The latest "rumor" appearing on the Tweetz that I've seen:

Miller (50% retained) for Neuvirth, Fehr, 2015 1st,  2016 2nd.

Does that taste any better? Still seems like too much to give and too much uncertainty on whether he's a rental or not. The farther the Caps get in to this the more I don't like it.

But, I can still see GMGM going overboard to win the Miller sweeps.

Yea, maybe GM will throw in Ovi as well? You know, to free up some cap space.. :wacko:  If Ted lets this bozo trade away anything beyong a goalie, for a Miller rental, I'll say some bad words really loud and most likely break something of mine that I really like.. :P

Have Buffalo sign Miller to a 5 year deal first, then we'll discuss giving up top 10 picks and a top 6 forward (on the cheap) to appease a trade..

1 person likes this

The negativity here about a possible trade for Miller surprises me somewhat in spite of his pending UFA status. Yes we need a top-6 forward and a top-4 D, but guess what - Vanek, Moulson and Girardi (not to mention almost all of the top players who are being talked about as possible trades) are also pending UFAs. I'd love to get both Moulson and Girardi and they would be my priority over Miller but the fact is the Caps will probably have to give up as much if not more for those guys than they would for Miller. There's little market for goalies right now but both Moulson and Girardi are going to generate heavy interest and probably a bidding war for them. Then even if we get them, Moulson and Girardi could both leave at the end of the season anyway.

Here's why Miller makes sense:

1. Holtby isn't getting it done, I mean he recently became the first goalie in modern history to give up 5 goals on 11 shots in a game. Miller would be a big upgrade and oh by the way, in spite of our other needs the goaltender position is still the most important position on the ice. It would send a message to the entire team that management is serious about trying to win a cup.

2. With the defense being as leaky as it is, a veteran like Miller could stop alot of the mistakes from getting in the net that Holtby hasn't been able to.

3. I agree in theory that this team might be far off from being a serious cup contender, BUT we won't be a serious contender anytime soon with Holtby and let's not forget that teams with hot goalies can easily become serious contenders. It's a must have position.   

4. We wouldn't have to overpay to get him because the Sabres basically have no market for trading Miller right now which is exactly why Miller hasn't been traded yet. Go down the list of teams in the league and you'll see why. The only possibilities of "cup contenders" that Miller might want to go to AND whom might be in the market would be St. Louis, Nashville or Minnesota. Halak has been hot lately and Buffalo might not be interested because Halak is a UFA this summer. Nashville is still counting on Rinne to come back, and the Wild have a pretty good situation with Kuemper, Backstrom and Harding (who could be back soon). Every other team in the league is either in a re-build or has a solid #1 goaltender in place. 

5. Miller will be 34 this summer but he stays in tremendous shape and could easily be a top goaltender for several more years.

Now as I have suggested, Miller would be "plan B" if the "plan A" of getting Moulson/other top-6 forward and Girardi/other top-4 d-man didn't work out. Either way, this team needs to be improved and if we can't upgrade the 2nd line and/or 2nd d-man pairing, this team will still need to be upgraded in other ways and that would leave the Miller option.

• Chad Graff: There is no truth to the rumor that the Wild made an offer to the Sabres for Ryan Miller.
  • myNHLTradeRumors: Nick Kypreos said on HC @ Noon that the Capitals are kicking tires on Ryan Miller.
  • Neil Greenberg: Kevin Weekes on Sabres Ryan Miller: “I also see [#Caps] being a potential fit. Both St. Louis & WSH have young goalies in return as assets.” The Capitals have $750, 128 in cap space to absorb Miller’s $6.25 million salary cap hit. Greenberg doesn’t see how Miller fits with the Capitals without creating another hole in their roster.

Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Trade talk is picking up.

“There’s definitely more talking going on,” one team executive told ESPN.com Monday night. ”Some of the bubble/lower teams have begun to share their lists of players they might move if they fall out of it.”

Salary cap will play a big part this year.

“Because of that, I still think most of the action, like 90 percent of it, happens after the Olympics, closer to March,” said one player agent who has a player or two who likely will be on the move.

In other news Rafalski was released form the ECHL Everblades and has declared he is done due to a bad back.

Oh yeah... same source as last time

@hockeyanonymous

Just an FYI... those twitter handles are literally kids in the basement whipping up bullexcrement for followers. They know nothing.

Just an FYI... those twitter handles are literally kids in the basement whipping up bullexcrement for followers. They know nothing.

Oh, without a doubt, all taken with the appropriate grain of salt.

There is a difference between the users you mention above and those few who emanate a modicum of credibility, though. But I know what you're saying.

Given the nature of the thread and the possible push to get Miller (with the Caps keep getting reported on as being heavily interested) it's interesting to "take the temperature" to see what fans think is too much.

Each offer I've come across seems like over-paying to me, but whoever lands Miller (if anyone) is sure to do so.

Oh, without a doubt, all taken with the appropriate grain of salt.

There is a difference between the users you mention above and those few who emanate a modicum of credibility, though. But I know what you're saying.

Given the nature of the thread and the possible push to get Miller (with the Caps keep getting reported on as being heavily interested) it's interesting to "take the temperature" to see what fans think is too much.

Each offer I've come across seems like over-paying to me, but whoever lands Miller (if anyone) is sure to do so.

I mean... all the "hockey anonymous" guys make Eklund look like a legitimate reporter. Eklund at least SOMETIMES get it right... these anonymous clowns are just throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks. 

Miller is interesting because he's a pending UFA. If he wasn't, I'd expect a package (not from the Caps, just giving a size estimation) of Holtby+medium prospect+1st or something of the sort. As a pending UFA, I don't think he'll get anywhere near that. Buffalo at some point is going to have to take what they can get, because there isn't a chance in hell he is resigning there.

They'll either get a panic package from St. Louis or something or take somebody's ham sandwich at the deadline. 

I mean... all the "hockey anonymous" guys make Eklund look like a legitimate reporter. Eklund at least SOMETIMES get it right... these anonymous clowns are just throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks. 

Miller is interesting because he's a pending UFA. If he wasn't, I'd expect a package (not from the Caps, just giving a size estimation) of Holtby+medium prospect+1st or something of the sort. As a pending UFA, I don't think he'll get anywhere near that. Buffalo at some point is going to have to take what they can get, because there isn't a chance in hell he is resigning there.

They'll either get a panic package from St. Louis or something or take somebody's ham sandwich at the deadline. 

Well, it's fun to speculate, even if the rumors end up being false.

Otherwise the only time we have something to talk about is after the trade has already been done, and knowing GMGM it'll probably be a terrible trade that addresses nothing

Well, it's fun to speculate, even if the rumors end up being false.

Otherwise the only time we have something to talk about is after the trade has already been done, and knowing GMGM it'll probably be a terrible trade that addresses nothing

Kuznetsov for Havlat?

;) 

Just read this over on the other boards and thought it quite amusing so thought i'd share

Did you know Erat is now in 17th place all time for most assists without a goal ? 20 assists, 0 goals

And the only forward in the top 37

chasing a record set in 1947-48 and only needs another 9 assists with no goal  :)

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=&year_max=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&birth_country=&franch_id=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=S&handed=&c1stat=assists&c1comp=gt&c1val=0&c2stat=goals&c2comp=eq&c2val=0&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=assists

as much as I am a firm believer of the 'developing your own is better value than signing UFAs' philosophy. . .one player that is intriguing is Callahan.

While the Rags are very unlikely to even consider not signing him, and even more unlikely to do it. . . if we let/moved Garbo for him?  And/or cut the other high to mid range salaries (Laich, Ward, Green, Erat, etc). to bring "another" captain, thats the exact type of player we need more of?

Wow.

However, I have no idea what his agent is asking, (last I heard was 7 years. . .ACK), or what he'll get. . . but if he can sign for the 4-6 range for 3-4 years? . . .. with all the other names mentioned here, he is the one that is by far the most intriguing . . .

as much as I am a firm believer of the 'developing your own is better value than signing UFAs' philosophy. . .one player that is intriguing is Callahan.

Does he give good interviews and whiff on open shots too?? If so, he can wear #20 and earn 2x the money! Be a prefect GMGM move! :P

Does he give good interviews and whiff on open shots too?? If so, he can wear #20 and earn 2x the money! Be a prefect GMGM move! :P

No on both counts (that I know of), touché :D

However, he is Dustin Browns friend, so he may give AWESOME post game interviews :D

No on both counts (that I know of), touché :D

However, he is Dustin Browns friend, so he may give AWESOME post game interviews :D

^NOT a valid reason to get someone just for the interviews....

1 person likes this

I'll re-iterate the fact that Moulson and a top-4 D (if the price isn't expensive) should be plan A, but let's face it Holtby is mentally done and Miller would be a huge upgrade not to mention probably costing alot less than Moulson (also a UFA) and a top-4 D (who will most likely be as well given the names that have been mentioned).