Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OldHat

The Official Trade Deadline Thread 2014 - 3.05.14 3pm

823 posts in this topic

With the deadline almost two months away to the day (March 5th) it's not too early to start talking/posting rumours.  So, post trades as they happen and rumours you may run across.

I'll start.

The Martin Brodeur sweeps could get very intriguing very soon.. I am hearing the Penguins and Blackhawks both with serious interest should Brodeur become available. The Capitals are also looking into possibly bring Marty in for the playoff run.

So trade Neuvy, send Grubi down and go with Brodeur and Holtby?  I suppose you can guess where this rumour came from. :) 

2 people like this

I suppose you can guess where this rumour came from. :) 

Ummmm.....OldHat? :)

The Rangers picked up Carcillo for a 7th.

Ummmm.....OldHat? :)

The Rangers picked up Carcillo for a 7th.

No, silly.  That was plucked from 'HOCKEYBUZZ'.  ;)

Rangers replacing Dorsett and his broken leg.

No, silly.  That was plucked from 'HOCKEYBUZZ'.  ;)

Rangers replacing Dorsett and his broken leg.

Oh, I knew exactly where that came from.  Just surprised somebody hasn't taken it as fact yet and run with it.

Am I stupid to say unload on draft picks this year. From my guess the caps are going to have mid round picks anyways and from what I have heard this draft class is not very talented. There are teams like Buffalo that are looking to gather picks and re build. If we offered them a first and a player they would bite hard. GMGM needs to make SEVERAL big moves to take this team to the next level. It is going to take some added players to win a cup and for GMGM to hold his job I think. People have been saying how Oates isn't a good coach but look at his system and look at his players. Oates thinks offense first that is obvious. We have a handful of players that fit into his system. OV, Nicky, Grabo, MOJO, Fehr after that I can't think of many other players who fit into his exact system. Then you have players like Wilson and Latta who are on the 4th line and are perfect for that role, and Oates knows and likes that. Defense we have 2 stud defenseman in Alzner and Carly. Green needs a d-partner real badly someone that he can trust enough to pinch and be offensive where he is best. Now he is the one that has to stay back because Orlov makes some stupid pinches. But if you put Orlov with Olesky you get a pair that one pinches, one stays home and that is a solid 3rd pairing. We are missing that one defense man, one 30-40 goal scorer, and a 3rd line center. Expendable players such as Erat, Brouwer, Ward, Holtby(yes you heard me), Neuvy, Erskine,and Laich combined with high picks and prospects in the minors could get us what we need. GMGM needs a win now mentality and needs to get the balls to trade. 

Am I stupid to say unload on draft picks this year. From my guess the caps are going to have mid round picks anyways and from what I have heard this draft class is not very talented. There are teams like Buffalo that are looking to gather picks and re build. If we offered them a first and a player they would bite hard. GMGM needs to make SEVERAL big moves to take this team to the next level. It is going to take some added players to win a cup and for GMGM to hold his job I think. People have been saying how Oates isn't a good coach but look at his system and look at his players. Oates thinks offense first that is obvious. We have a handful of players that fit into his system. OV, Nicky, Grabo, MOJO, Fehr after that I can't think of many other players who fit into his exact system. Then you have players like Wilson and Latta who are on the 4th line and are perfect for that role, and Oates knows and likes that. Defense we have 2 stud defenseman in Alzner and Carly. Green needs a d-partner real badly someone that he can trust enough to pinch and be offensive where he is best. Now he is the one that has to stay back because Orlov makes some stupid pinches. But if you put Orlov with Olesky you get a pair that one pinches, one stays home and that is a solid 3rd pairing. We are missing that one defense man, one 30-40 goal scorer, and a 3rd line center. Expendable players such as Erat, Brouwer, Ward, Holtby(yes you heard me), Neuvy, Erskine,and Laich combined with high picks and prospects in the minors could get us what we need. GMGM needs a win now mentality and needs to get the balls to trade. 

You have to give up quality to get quality. If, by your estimation, that draft picks aren't quality, and the players listed aren't quality, how do you reasonably expect to get quality in return?

You have to give up quality to get quality. If, by your estimation, that draft picks aren't quality, and the players listed aren't quality, how do you reasonably expect to get quality in return?

As I said you combine a high pick, 1st rounder and another player/prospect you can get something in return. And as I said the picks from my perspective of a capitals fan they arent strong this year. However another team might see them as strong depending on perspective and needs

As I said you combine a high pick, 1st rounder and another player/prospect you can get something in return. And as I said the picks from my perspective of a capitals fan they arent strong this year. However another team might see them as strong depending on perspective and needs

As is always the case with these threads, throw out a hypothetical. My suspicion is that the feasibility of such a move tends to decline once it moves from an abstract concept to a practical one.

I will lay out my dream situations:

Trade Erat+4th/5th for Briere (MTL)

Trade MOJO+1/2/3 pick for Moulson (BUF)

Trade Carrick/Kundratek/Hillen/Ward + Neuvy for MacDonald (NYI)

Once Kuznetsov comes we can also trade Brouwer/Fehr as an option 

This leaves us with:

Moulson Nicky Ovi

Fehr Grabo Brouwer

Chimmer Briere Wilson

Volpatti Beagle Latta

Alzner Carly

MacDonald Green

Orlov Olesky

Holtby 

Gruby

What do you think?

I see these lines as 3 lines that can score and 4 that are dependable in the d-zone as well as balanced defense 

Please do not turn this thread into a fantasy roster thread with proposals and your ideal rosters.

I intended this to be a thread where actual rumours(even if ther are from eklund) and actual trades that go through could be posted so that there would be one place to keep up with the happenings leading up to the trade deadline.

Sure this may make me look like as a-hole and sure you can post whatever you want, but I am asking, please keep this thread somewhat focused on actual rumours and actual trades.

-Spasiba

1 person likes this

Please do not turn this thread into a fantasy roster thread with proposals and your ideal rosters.

I intended this to be a thread where actual rumours(even if ther are from eklund) and actual trades that go through could be posted so that there would be one place to keep up with the happenings leading up to the trade deadline.

Sure this may make me look like as a-hole and sure you can post whatever you want, but I am asking, please keep this thread somewhat focused on actual rumours and actual trades.

-Spasiba

Because the trade for Marty was an actual rumor or trade right?

Fair enough. Lo siento.

fleece
flēs/
verb
gerund or present participle: fleecing
  1. 1.
    informal
    obtain a great deal of money from (someone), typically by overcharging or swindling them.
    "money that authorities say he fleeced from well-to-do acquaintances"

fleece
flēs/
verb
gerund or present participle: fleecing
  1. 1.
    informal
    obtain a great deal of money from (someone), typically by overcharging or swindling them.
    "money that authorities say he fleeced from well-to-do acquaintances"

Now that's just not acceptable!! You need to do the GM's job for free, sift through every proposed pick, team and player in the NHL then give a detailed account of how you would make this happen.. Short answers, rounded opinions, and sarcasm will not be tolerated!! :P

I'd really like to see an effort to re-sign Grabo before we go playing the market

Because if that doesn't happen we will not only need a top 4 D and 2 wingers, but a centre also

Fair enough. Lo siento.

No worries, brother!

• Elliotte Friedman: The Rangers have put goalie Martin Biron on waivers with the purpose of terminating his contract.

You'd think someone will pick him up, no?

From Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun:

Ryan Miller may not be going anywhere as the new GM may look to re-sign him, and they may not be able to get what they want for him on the trade market. The asking price is three prospects and a first round pick. The Blues may be the only option for Miller, and they may not be looking to trade.

Thought is the Hurricanes are not done trading. A couple teams have said the Hurricanes are willing to trade anyone but Eric and Jordan Staal. Teams will call about Jeff Skinner, but he isn’t going anywhere. Jiri Tlusty, Tuomo Ruuttu and Ron Hainsey will likely be traded by the deadline.

The Avs will have to make a decision on Paul Stastny before the trade deadline. If they are able to get a 1st round pick and a prospect for him, they may move him.

No worries, brother!

• Elliotte Friedman: The Rangers have put goalie Martin Biron on waivers with the purpose of terminating his contract.
You'd think someone will pick him up, no?

Biron retired a few months back.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/20/martin-biron-announces-his-retirement/

Maybe they were just giving him time to make sure he was really finished before terminating his contract? Don't know.

Biron retired a few months back.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/20/martin-biron-announces-his-retirement/

Maybe they were just giving him time to make sure he was really finished before terminating his contract? Don't know.

D'oh!  Missed that one.

But here it is --> https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/420239292359639040

Why would they have to waive him if he retired?  Wouldn't that terminate his contract?

Can't be 100% sure but I don't think he had a 35+ contract. He is only 36 now and as I understand it for a contract to qualify as a 35+ contract it has to be a multi-year deal signed by a player that is 35 or older. I saw the news about the Rangers waiving him earlier today and I've been trying to figure out the significance. I gave up and that's when I turned to my fellow Caps fans and the brilliant hockey minds that grace these boards.

Just looked it up. Born in August 1977 for a deal signed in 2012. Since age as of June 30 applies, he would have been 34 for the purposes of that contract if my calculations are correct.

I intended this to be a thread where actual rumours(even if ther are from eklund) and actual trades that go through could be posted so that there would be one place to keep up with the happenings leading up to the trade deadline.

-Spasiba

But . . . If we had Gretzky as our GM. . , (:D)

But . . . If we had Gretzky as our GM. . , ( :D)

Then I'd hope he was a better GM than he was a coach.  I'd like to see Hunter run this team as GM.

Interesting bit of the day:

Howard Berger on Berger Bytes: The Maple Leafs may have to decide whether it will be Nazem Kadri or Randy Carlyle by the March 5th trade deadline. If they are to continue to develop Kadri, they’ll have to find a new coach. If Carlyle is to stay, Kadri is likely gone.