Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zerofox

Grabovski

266 posts in this topic

All I keep thinking about is how many more goals we'd have and how many more points Ovi would have had if Mojo could have converted some of those sweet passes that Ovi served up on a platter for him.

Nick

No doubt....That was frustrating as heck to watch.....Then again after chicago pulled dere goalie and won the cup in the final 2 minutes etc....

@ Ancient-

Ha, yeah I admit I spend a lot of time in fantasy land thinking of the what ifs and what could have beens and enjoy the pointless exercise of shifting lines around in my mind just to see what might look cool on paper :D.

I don't have much against Mojo. He's still developing but he has still produced nicely. Mojo/Backstrom/Ovechkin still looks good. I don't have too many issues with that. Sends Erat back down to the 2nd line where he may be able to provide a little more offensive punch to balance things out. And, assuming we get Grabovski, Laich gets to play 3C. I love the idea of Laich at 3C. I'm sure he's good enough to earn a spot on the 2nd line but having a player of his caliber as 3C would be pretty great. I guess in a situation like that though, I wouldn't see any room for both Grabo and EK once he gets here (if he gets here). Don't think either of them belong on the 3rd line. Mojo's spot as 1L means Erat has gotta be 2L. Ovie and Brouwer are probably locks for the 1R and 2R (unless we bring in a 2R that can produce 30-40+ goals :D).

But at the same time, if we get Grabo and if he turns out to be a productive 2C, I wouldn't want to drop him the moment EK gets here, in case EK takes longer than expected to develop into solid 2C. So I guess in my mind, moving Mojo to limbo was more or less a means of being able to keep Grabo and EK  

I rather have the caps stop paying for "potential" and start paying guys that have won the cup and are still in prime and/or are tough and not scared of there own shadow in a tough playoff game battle.  Mojo is a little girl when it comes to that, I still remember him running away like a little girl his first year....that is not playoff warriors that is playoff losers who do that.

The kid is worth tops 1.5 mill and same for grabovski, and we can sign both as far as I am concerned for 3 mill total combined.

I like people continue to ignore the facts:

1) MoJo is 22 years old and nowhere near his NHL prime.

2) He has only played in, I believe, 2 full NHL seasons.

3) He has continued to increase his total points each season.

4) He was on a 50 point pace last season and only played in 34 games.

How about we give MoJo a little break and not start running to every FA that may end up being better. I posted the stat comparision between Grabo and MoJo, the only difference is MoJo is on his way up. I know people will say "but Grabo was on the third line... blah blah blah."

Oates will figure out how to get the maximum potential out of MoJo have a little faith. I have a hard time believing that we are going to see the same MoJo that we saw last year, if we are all seeing MoJo getting thrown around so is it Oates and I think he will fix it.

I rather have the caps stop paying for "potential" and start paying guys that have won the cup and are still in prime and/or are tough and not scared of there own shadow in a tough playoff game battle.  Mojo is a little girl when it comes to that, I still remember him running away like a little girl his first year....that is not playoff warriors that is playoff losers who do that.

The kid is worth tops 1.5 mill and same for grabovski, and we can sign both as far as I am concerned for 3 mill total combined.

It not realistic though. Should it be... sure but its not. You can see my post in Grabo thread for more of an explaination.

Bottom line is that there are plenty of team that will pay whatever MoJo is asking GMGM to pay him and we are currently paying a lot of players on the team less than what MoJo is probably asking and they produce less than he does.

I have no doubt that Oates is going to work with Mojo. Ideally the turn him into a set up man like Backstrom is for Ovi and pair him with EK on the second line.

As far as you're concerned?  Ok pal.

That and $1.21 will get you a coffee at 7-11.

Shultz is gone so I guess MOJO is the haters next target. MOJO has played the equivilant of 2 NHL seasons. Grabovski is a two way nightmare. MOJO plays both ends of the rink and if you say otherwise your not watching. This is the season you see MOJO for what he is... I personally think he is going to have a break out season. Typically in the past Swedes take two seasons to adjust and that is where he is. His production last half of the season was a very good sign. To say we should have no problem signing him at 1.5 is not realistic and just blabber... then again its always the same few people posting the hate on these boards. Who knows maybe if Grabovski is signed and the fresh start on a new team he plays two way and is a good player for us... but I would never sacrifice MOJO for that what if... MOJO is going to sign for more than 1.5 so give that up that's a pipe dream..  they only way we sign Grab is to either sacrifice MOJO which I do not think they will do, or to trade someone... which in my pipe dream would include finding some blind sucker to take Erskine and that horrible contract off our hands or Ward which I like but the contract makes him a bit pricy.

1 person likes this

Shultz is gone so I guess MOJO is the haters next target. MOJO has played the equivilant of 2 NHL seasons. Grabovski is a two way nightmare. MOJO plays both ends of the rink and if you say otherwise your not watching. This is the season you see MOJO for what he is... I personally think he is going to have a break out season. Typically in the past Swedes take two seasons to adjust and that is where he is. His production last half of the season was a very good sign. To say we should have no problem signing him at 1.5 is not realistic and just blabber... then again its always the same few people posting the hate on these boards. Who knows maybe if Grabovski is signed and the fresh start on a new team he plays two way and is a good player for us... but I would never sacrifice MOJO for that what if... MOJO is going to sign for more than 1.5 so give that up that's a pipe dream..  they only way we sign Grab is to either sacrifice MOJO which I do not think they will do, or to trade someone... which in my pipe dream would include finding some blind sucker to take Erskine and that horrible contract off our hands or Ward which I like but the contract makes him a bit pricy.

Actually, I don't see the JOJO / MOJO hate here that you reference--not even close to our once and former, lovable "Big Bird", the "Pylon", "Charmin-soft", Sargent Shultz (excuse the alliteration).   MoJo has proven to be a good forward, fast skating, young player, who will only improve over the years.  If McPhee does not resign Mojo, it must be that MoJo is asking far too much, and/or far too long a deal than McPhee can reasonably extend.   I think a realistic MoJo deal would slot in at around $2.5M / 3 years.

None of this changes the basically diminished capacity of the Caps as they head into the upcoming season, which McPhee has still neither acknowledged nor addressed.    McPhee's early stake, of standing behind Laich as the 2C, still strikes me as posturing by our GM in the face of the obvious diminished capabilities at the position sans Ribeiro.  Whether Grabovski would be a better fit than Laich, there should be no doubt.   But the salary constraints will prevent any such deal unless one of our higher paid players is dealt.  As the Caps are flush at RW, the obvious and affordable choice would be be move Joel Ward, put Fehr in his place, and bring in WIlson on the 4th line.  

Laich is better suited to play wing, as his stats suggest.  McPhee knows this, but got caught up in a "McPheeism".  He will make a deal for a true, 2nd line capable, 2C--whether it is Grabovski or in a trade for someone else, I really don't care.   McPhee will eventually do this out of the sheer force of evidence bearing upon him, and regardless of his premature and unfounded backing of Laich as the 2C.   Given our history of "McPheeism's", this situation, as we now stand in the middle of August, should surprise no one.     

Actually, I don't see the JOJO / MOJO hate here that you reference--not even close to our once and former, lovable "Big Bird", the "Pylon", "Charmin-soft", Sargent Shultz (excuse the alliteration).   MoJo has proven to be a good forward, fast skating, young player, who will only improve over the years.  If McPhee does not resign Mojo, it must be that MoJo is asking far too much, and/or far too long a deal than McPhee can reasonably extend.   I think a realistic MoJo deal would slot in at around $2.5M / 3 years.

None of this changes the basically diminished capacity of the Caps as they head into the upcoming season, which McPhee has still neither acknowledged nor addressed.    McPhee's early stake, of standing behind Laich as the 2C, still strikes me as posturing by our GM in the face of the obvious diminished capabilities at the position sans Ribeiro.  Whether Grabovski would be a better fit than Laich, there should be no doubt.   But the salary constraints will prevent any such deal unless one of our higher paid players is dealt.  As the Caps are flush at RW, the obvious and affordable choice would be be move Joel Ward, put Fehr in his place, and bring in WIlson on the 4th line.  

Laich is better suited to play wing, as his stats suggest.  McPhee knows this, but got caught up in a "McPheeism".  He will make a deal for a true, 2nd line capable, 2C--whether it is Grabovski or in a trade for someone else, I really don't care.   McPhee will eventually do this out of the sheer force of evidence bearing upon him, and regardless of his premature and unfounded backing of Laich as the 2C.   Given our history of "McPheeism's", this situation, as we now stand in the middle of August, should surprise no one.     

I can certainely agree with the tenor of your post.....I honestly feel the first 20-30 games will set our tone if we go south....I do not have a problem seeing what happens with a healthy roster etc....The new system with a full training camp could work wonders or if it goes real bad then not much sympathy......I think we are on the edge-if things go bad-of something similiar to the cerato deal with the skins....I look at it like the old ketchup commercials and the "anticipation" song....... :blink:

From http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/

Grabovski is still unsigned and according to one NHL GM, he wanted too much money and term in the early days for free agency.

“He was trying to cash in on getting the buyout and double dipping,” a general manager said. “And once everybody who wanted a centre signed them, there was no place for him to get the kind of deal he wanted.”

Aaaaaand from 'our friend':

Phoenix and Caps lead way for Grabovski. NJ could make splash

Just a few quick hits to start with today...looking into more involving Calgary and the Rangers...if I get more on that I promise to update

So, I have tried as long as I possibly could to not speak of Grabovski...but today I keep hearing there could be movement and while as many as three teams may be involved it really looks to be two horse race at this point...between the Coyotes and the Caps...

Also hearing some very preliminary talk surrounding the Devils consideration of a multi-player deal.... Rare air the Devils are in....

Stay tuned campers...

From http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/

Grabovski is still unsigned and according to one NHL GM, he wanted too much money and term in the early days for free agency.

“He was trying to cash in on getting the buyout and double dipping,” a general manager said. “And once everybody who wanted a centre signed them, there was no place for him to get the kind of deal he wanted.”

Aaaaaand from 'our friend':

Phoenix and Caps lead way for Grabovski. NJ could make splash

Just a few quick hits to start with today...looking into more involving Calgary and the Rangers...if I get more on that I promise to update

So, I have tried as long as I possibly could to not speak of Grabovski...but today I keep hearing there could be movement and while as many as three teams may be involved it really looks to be two horse race at this point...between the Coyotes and the Caps...

Also hearing some very preliminary talk surrounding the Devils consideration of a multi-player deal.... Rare air the Devils are in....

Stay tuned campers...

Yeah, right -- I'll stay tuned.  Tuned out.

Too bad Eklund is an electronic reporter rather than an old-time newspaper reporter.  Then his column would at least be useful for lining the bird cage.  

Here's the latest on Grabovski - grab it while you can!

Gary Greenstin has seen Mikhail Grabovski excel when the fit was right and struggle when it was wrong.

So while the veteran agent has watched a multitude of comparable players sign contracts during the summer, he said the priority has always been to find Grabovski “the right team for this year," rather than beating the clock as a free agent.

It’s a process that’s kept him without a contract, even as we’re closer to training camps than to the free-agent frenzy.

Of course, there’s are differing opinions on why Grabovski, 29, remains unsigned after the Toronto Maple Leafs used a compliance buyout on him in July. He had four years remaining on a five-year, $27.5-million contract.

Via Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun last weekend:

According to one 
NHL
 GM, he wanted too much money and too much term in the early days of free agency. “He was trying to cash in on getting the buyout and double dipping,” a general manager said. “And once everybody who wanted a centre signed them, there was no place for him to get the kind of deal he wanted.”

If term was the focus earlier in the process, it no longer is. Greenstin told us on Tuesday that Grabovski would likely take a 1-year contract with whichever NHL team signs him, which is the desire for both the player and his agent.

To read more, go to this link from Yahoo Sports:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/why-mikhail-grabovski-remains-nhl-free-agent-exile-173331851.html

Rumor is signing with Caps at $3M x 1.  Since it's a rumor out there before the Caps have released it, I'm less inclined to believe it....but take from it what you will.

And some more fodder:

Nick Kypreos @RealKyper

Told #Capitals still waiting for confirmation that Grabovski has accepted their offer but all is pointing in that direction.

I must have missed it by a hair.  I was on RMNB and posted the Burakovsky thread this afternoon. 

Now with Kypreos tweeting... maybe it is so?  Guess we'll see.

Hey guys Leaf fan here. Just saying Grabo is a great player and you guys are so lucky to sign him. I still regret my team buying him out. This is what you're getting...

And my fav Grabo goal!

1 person likes this

Hey guys Leaf fan here. Just saying Grabo is a great player and you guys are so lucky to sign him. I still regret my team buying him out. This is what you're getting...

And my fav Grabo goal!

Nice highlights!  Thanks bro.  It isn't official yet though.  I'll believe it when it's for real.

Sorry for the multiple threads boys and girls.  I guess I should have just posted in this one first, right?  The one titled 'Grabovski' and already 8 pages long.  ;)

I'll believe it when I see it. If GMGM does manage to pull this off, then I'll give credit where credit is due. However it still makes his earlier statement about "liking the team we have" and "Brooks as our 2C" look silly at a minimum and more along the lines of delusional as most of us already know by now.

NJC

I'll believe it when I see it. If GMGM does manage to pull this off, then I'll give credit where credit is due. However it still makes his earlier statement about "liking the team we have" and "Brooks as our 2C" look silly at a minimum and more along the lines of delusional as most of us already know by now.

NJC

Yup, I agree, but GMGM always says likes the team...  ALWAYS.  He also always says that if there is something he can do to make the team better, and it makes sense, then he'll look at it.  Just think back to Vokoun.

Actually, the thing that makes me doubt it the most is the 3mil price tag being reported. 

Sure would be a nice influx of skill.

FWIW Dimitry Chesnokov is reporting that "it is confirmed that Graboski will officially join the Caps in the coming days. A one year deal."

FWIW Dimitry Chesnokov is reporting that "it is confirmed that Graboski will officially join the Caps in the coming days. A one year deal."

I just checked out his site.  He seems sure Grabo on a 1 year deal.

He also seems sure about what I suspect about Kuznetsov - we'll see him next year.

Yup, I agree, but GMGM always says likes the team...  ALWAYS.  He also always says that if there is something he can do to make the team better, and it makes sense, then he'll look at it.  Just think back to Vokoun.

Actually, the thing that makes me doubt it the most is the 3mil price tag being reported. 

Sure would be a nice influx of skill.

Yeah I know GMGM is always in love with the team, until he finds a bargain basement grinder. Which is why I find it hard to believe this deal because Grabo is actually talented. The price tag is a little odd as well but I can understand it since he's been sitting out there awhile and from all accounts overvalued his own worth.

NJC

The Washington Capitals have reportedly made an offer to UFA Mikhail Grabovski and they are waiting to hear back from him.

"That'd be awesome. I think Washington needs a guy like that. I grew up watching him in Toronto," said Capitals prospect Tom Wilson after word broke that Grabovski could be joining the team. "He's a really special player who can definitely put the puck in the net. I'm excited to watch him." Washington winger Joel Ward would "love to welcome him to the team" as well. According to Igor Eronko, a one-year deal worth $3 million could be what Grabovski ends up agreeing to. A decision is projected to come shortly. Aug 22 - 5:04 PM