Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zerofox

Grabovski

266 posts in this topic

Toronto might buy him out. How do you folks feel about him as a center?

Looks like Stephen Weiss has been more productive during his career. Both guys have had iffy seasons last year. 

11 people like this

Toronto might buy him out. How do you folks feel about him as a center?

Looks like Stephen Weiss has been more productive during his career. Both guys have had iffy seasons last year. 

With Detroit and Vancouver interested in Weiss... he is sure to go elsewhere.  Maybe there is a Joetek Crabbski out there that we can sign.

Who? Doesn't he play goalie for the Flyers? :lol:  5'11" 183lbs. 29 asssists as a career high? Just on paper, no thanks.. Another 3C we already have a dozen of..

On a side note, I'd be damn skeptical of anyone who's still in their 20's being bought out.. If they're worth anything close to what their getting paid, they'd of been moved in a trade of somekind or still on the team..

As a player he's solid, but I'm more concerned about his -10(!) from this past post season.

That's appalling.  Even if it's a meaningless stat, that's definitely a big question mark.

Who? Doesn't he play goalie for the Flyers? :lol:  5'11" 183lbs. 29 asssists as a career high? Just on paper, no thanks.. Another 3C we already have a dozen of..

On a side note, I'd be damn skeptical of anyone who's still in their 20's being bought out.. If they're worth anything close to what their getting paid, they'd of been moved in a trade of somekind or still on the team..

When he had 29 assists he also had 29 goals, so previous season was good for him. If we need 25 goals player it might be him. I agree with PIF, post season is a concern. 

Good points all around.

On another note, Loui Erikkson traded to Boston for Seguin. Disappointing because I've always seen Loui Eriksson as one of those "30+ goal scoring wingers" that I would have loved to have on the Caps. In fact, in my totally just for fun stab at the cap calculator in this thread...

http://fans.capitals.nhl.com/community/topic/62673-capgeek-cap-calculator-silly-fun/

I put Eriksson as our 2LW. 

Sigh. All the good players being moved, none want to come here.

It seems like he could be a decent add and it's nice that he's still fairly young.  Like Mick said, though, you've got to be a little weary of anyone that young being bought out.  I guess at 5.5 he was a pretty decent cap hit though and it opens up a good chunk of space for them.  I wonder what it's going to take to sign him.

@jonasTSN1050: A taste of Grabovski on Carlyle: "Don’t put me on a [expletive] third line and then [expletive] play [me] six minutes in a game."

Nice.

@jonasTSN1050: A taste of Grabovski on Carlyle: "Don’t put me on a [expletive] third line and then [expletive] play [me] six minutes in a game."

Nice.

That quote came about because he was explaining how he was put on the third line and was expected to score like a first line player at the same time. He also called out his coach because he never communicated with him. This is a type of guy that Oates could really help turn around, because he actually communicates with the team, which is key for certain players.

I like him, he can be a good candidate. 

Great, so sign him and hope that Oates can re-motivate him.  'Cause with his attitude, you'd BETTER have him centering a top line.

As an aside, he was bought out of a contract that currently paid him $6 million and has a $5.5 million Cap hit.  For those who complain about GMGM overpaying for medium players.

Great, so sign him and hope that Oates can re-motivate him.  'Cause with his attitude, you'd BETTER have him centering a top line.

As an aside, he was bought out of a contract that currently paid him $6 million and has a $5.5 million Cap hit.  For those who complain about GMGM overpaying for medium players.

Regarding his "attitude" -- he was Carlyle's scape goat. He was put on the third line playing with bums and expected to put up first line numbers. Good for him to defend himself publicly. 

I've always liked him. He's fast and very skilled. More of a goal scorer than a playmaker, but that's what we need anyway. We need more guys that actually shoot the puck. He's decent in the dot... over 50% the last two years but his career numbers are pretty bad in that category....so it could go either way. 

I think he's a good candidate because I think he's ideally a wing who can play center. They want Kuznetsov to play center. Put Grabo at C this year, and put him on Kuzya's wing the next. 

I don't see how it happens, just as I don't see how any real FA pickup happens while we still have unsigned RFAs, but I'd be interested to hear what @Beergirl thinks.

Given @Sidewinder's description, though, it sounds like he's Toronto's version of a Ward/Schultz combo, rightly or wrongly.

He has a right to be upset tbh. He isn't a bad player and it isn't as if he has "peaked." 

Keep in mind guys people said the same thing about Ovechkin the last couple of seasons. You saw the results he had and the motivation he had when coaches like Hunter (as much as I liked him) gave up on him. 

No different than players like Bob and Gaborik who all did wonderful on different teams. I say we should have interest in this guy. 

I agree, I'd be excited to sign him.  Just don't ******* put him on the ******* third line, he'll be ******* upset if we ******* do that.

1 person likes this

I agree, I'd be excited to sign him.  Just don't ******* put him on the ******* third line, he'll be ******* upset if we ******* do that.

:D

I'd be pretty stoked to land Grabovski.  He's still available.  :unsure:

:D

I'd be pretty stoked to land Grabovski.  He's still available.  :unsure:

Meh.  He's small.  He isn't that much of a hitter.  Uncertain quality in the faceoff circle.  Uncertain defensive capabilities.  And how much is he going to get as a UFA, given the insanity that went on today?

After studying things a little bit, I think I have a better idea.  But like Nixon and Vietnamization, I don't think I'll tell you what it is.

Meh.  He's small.  He isn't that much of a hitter.  Uncertain quality in the faceoff circle.  Uncertain defensive capabilities.  And how much is he going to get as a UFA, given the insanity that went on today?

After studying things a little bit, I think I have a better idea.  But like Nixon and Vietnamization, I don't think I'll tell you what it is.

He actually shoots the puck to go along with his elite skating.

Unlike the Johansson's of the world (and I like Mojo for some reason) who can skate with the best of them but are unable to even put the puck on the net. 

I like Grabovski a lot...he never had a chance in Toronto, he was the scapegoat all the time.

Some forwards are just "great forwards"....accept them as that, and enjoy the qualities they bring.

Everyone is upset about Ribs, but he simply wanted too much/too long....and as good as he was, way too often (for a veteran) he was un-disciplined.

Not that small, 5'11".  A skilled, creative, shooting center. 

Sure, keep your ideas to yourself, tricky hot dog.

The Toronto Maple Leafs beat writer for the Globe and Mail North of the U.S. border claims Grabber didn't fit into the predominantly Canadien Leafs' 'room.'

He speculated the cultural differences of this Russian player and the North Americans in the Leafs' room was an issue.  He also claims the Ducks are interested and that Washington might be.  About an hour or so ago on NHL Network radio (Sirius XM).

If we added Grabber, we would have Ovie, Grabber, Kuzzy, Orlov, and Neuvy as Former Soviet Union (FSU) players on the roster.  I think we could make him feel at home.

And hell, there are those skinny, smoking hot cigarette smoking Russian dolls that hang at Russia House downtown.  No doubt we could make both Grabber and Kuzzy feel right at home!!

The Toronto Maple Leafs beat writer for the Globe and Mail North of the U.S. border claims Grabber didn't fit into the predominantly Canadien Leafs' 'room.'

He speculated the cultural differences of this Russian player and the North Americans in the Leafs' room was an issue.  He also claims the Ducks are interested and that Washington might be.  About an hour or so ago on NHL Network radio (Sirius XM).

If we added Grabber, we would have Ovie, Grabber, Kuzzy, Orlov, and Neuvy as Former Soviet Union (FSU) players on the roster.  I think we could make him feel at home.

And hell, there are those skinny, smoking hot cigarette smoking Russian dolls that hang at Russia House downtown.  No doubt we could make both Grabber and Kuzzy feel right at home!!

I think McPhee should make a run for Grabovski.  Likely the best available candidate for 2C at this point.  Hopefully, McPhee isn't still taking his nap.      

i would like to see grabo playing on our second line. he's skilled and he's fast. and we all know that Oates can be a tremendous help to players and Grabo would definitely be one of them.