Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google
Single Game Tickets

Photo

Mike Wise Article - Interesting Take.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 golfboy

golfboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

Just read this article by Mike Wise on Washingtonpost.com. I didn't see this already being discussed. If it is, and I missed it, sorry.

http://www.washingto...hnCG_story.html

What does everyone think?

#2 Mickstix

Mickstix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,246 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:29 PM

I think he's right! I also think the leader (coach) of the team can play a big hand in how these young "core" players mature, and in that sence, Boudreau has failed miserably.. (Someone said, the players take on the persona of their coach.. And in his case, they blame bad luck and bounces, and referee's.. Excuse after excuse)

Im ready to move Semin and Green along as well though.. They've had their time to mature and show their colors.. They're mental migets who arent gonna get it done here in Washington, imo.. It's written on the wall.... Nick Backstorm shoul possibly get 1 more year, but I've got serious doubts about him as well.. Ovi.. Ovi is Ovi.. he's the only one of the bunch who can play liks excrement and still score goals and assist.. I think alot of his mistakes come from tying to do it all himself, once he saw his mates weren't up for the job..

34ywrxy.jpg

#3 Thextus

Thextus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

@mick -- I'm confused as to why all the hate for Backstrom. The guy has gotten better each year, with the exception of this one....which also happens to coincide with him getting his first significant injury in his career. He's out there for nearly every situation, offensively and defensively, and is usually one of the most consistent producers on the team. Three excellent years, one bad one, and you're ready to throw him under the bus?
It's not about who scores or who plays defense, it's about winning. -- Tony Azevedo, Captain, US Water Polo Team

#4 golfboy

golfboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:48 PM

I agree that if Semin was dealt, I wouldn't lose sleep. So frustrating in that the guy obviously has sick talent, but he also seems distracted, or just uninterested sometimes. If he had OV's or Crosby's drive, he may be the best there is. Why not just put Green in his place. He belongs on offense anyway.

#5 buschman007

buschman007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:19 PM

Ouch, Mike is not pulling any punches. I'm a beer league hockey player, so I don't claim to understand the locker room complexity of a professional, semi pro, or even just a highly competitive hockey team. To me personally, I think coaches only give "Knute Rockne" type speeches in movies. While we call them boys, these are men. These are professional atheletes, well paid atheletes at that. Why does the coach need to give a Verizon jumbo tron esque speech to whip up the fire these guys need to compete at that level?
Sidney Crosby is a Vampire. Prove me wrong.

#6 hockeyken

hockeyken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:14 AM

Excellent column by Wise. I disagree about Backstrom, but agree about virtually everything else. Ovie is vastly overrated as a captain, and there must be something going on internally within the team. But Wise makes an excellent comparison to other coaches who started with poor records in playoffs and came back to win Cups. This team does have to decide if they're men or boys, especially the ones he mentioned. Give me guys like Knuble, Laich, Bradley, Hendricks, Backstrom, and therr ilk who really try hard each and every game in and game out. They don't do this bs of being halfway conditioned during the season to get ready for the playoffs like Ovie said he did. This is truly an Ovechkin failure not BB's as much as a lot of these bloggers would have you think.
I hope next season they grow up a little more and play responsibily. No more excuses. And hard as it is for me to say, if I were starting a team from scratch, I would take Crosby over Ovie in a heartbeat. Crosby is a leader, Ovie is a shooting star.

#7 Crenshaw

Crenshaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationArnold, MD

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

I think the answer for blame lies somewhere between 100% coach and 100% players.

You would expect pros to understand what it takes to compete.

Human nature is to take the 'short way' to success.

I think this is where the coach has to step up and set the level of expectation.

The 'optional' practices, lack of fitness, out of position play, and basic lack of fundementals are the coaches responsiblity to overcome.

The players must either make the commitment or be made to adhere to standards.

You can't coach heart but you can ensure sound fundementals.

Contracts should be written with clauses for minimum expectations, you show up at the beginning of the year able to physically perform at a certian level or you go through conditioning training unpaid or fined.

If it were me I'd be looking at every aspect of a players ability, down to how they skate. I'd go as far as requiring both speed and endurance timing runs.

If all players are required to meet minimum standards the coach knows what they have.

The players that don't have 'heart' probably won't be around very long.

This is why Sheldon Souray was at Hershey this year, it was about heart.

#8 hockeyken

hockeyken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

Bottom line to all of these types of discussions is that we are not in the locker room, not part of the coaching staff, so we really don't have a clue what goes on. The players know, the coaches know, but that is as far as it goes. Everything we write on here is pure conjecture. All we can hope is that they can find a way to continually play series like they did against the Rangers. At least the Flyers got swept as well.
We can 2nd guess all we want, but in the end, the players and coaches will look in the mirror, and hopefully be honest with themselves and do whatever it takes. Most will, some won't, and it is up to management to weed out the 'passengers'.

#9 Detroit_Caps_1908

Detroit_Caps_1908

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

"Hey Mike. . .heres 15 large, write a piece deflecting criticism from Bruge and George"

Pretty much sums it up

"Life goes by pretty fast, if you don't stop to look around once in a while, and do what ever you want all the time, you could miss it" -- Parker

" . . . Drinking 15 beers and going to a hockey game can qualify as a relaxing night" -- Max

"This calls for a delicate blend of psychology, and extreme violence" -- Vivian

"Ministry is for fighting, RevCo is for ******* " -- Uncle Al

#10 SDurbano

SDurbano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

I think the answer for blame lies somewhere between 100% coach and 100% players.

Always remember, and never forget, that when you say the blame lies on the players, the players have no heart, the players don't care, etc., that is ALSO an indictment of the GM, who is the guy that brought them here.

#11 gtrman12

gtrman12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,995 posts
  • LocationPurgatory! Welcome Fellow Caps fans.

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:36 AM

Well conceived by Wise. I think his point about the lack of heart among some core players is not without evidence. It was apparent to me in watching the TBL series of some guys seeming to just go through the motions of play, robot-like if you will--and were factors only in achieving consecutive losses for the team. I thought it shameful then, as I do now. I feel especially sorry for OV, Knubble, and a few others, who gave all they had. But the rest of the team seemed dazed, confused and not able to elevate their game.

Unfortunately, the Caps have the unenviable label of being a verified choking team--as repeat offenders in their consistent and persistent blowouts in the playoffs--as Wise also describes in comparing them to the Dallas Mavericks. Although Wise may not be a fan of hockey, he made some good points. The sad part of all of this: there is justification for his calling out the guys he called out. Whether they just inherently lack the heart or not--there is much for this franchise to consider during this off season. Good luck with that.

We play a system where teams get probably more shots the way we play but most of them are from the outside, we’ll allow those. In some ways that might be better for this particular goaltender.

- George "I know nothing about hockey or probability" McPhee

In a time of universal deceit -- telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

- George Orwell

#12 DJSII

DJSII

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

I think he's right! I also think the leader (coach) of the team can play a big hand in how these young "core" players mature, and in that sence, Boudreau has failed miserably.. (Someone said, the players take on the persona of their coach.. And in his case, they blame bad luck and bounces, and referee's.. Excuse after excuse)

Im ready to move Semin and Green along as well though.. They've had their time to mature and show their colors.. They're mental migets who arent gonna get it done here in Washington, imo.. It's written on the wall.... Nick Backstorm shoul possibly get 1 more year, but I've got serious doubts about him as well.. Ovi.. Ovi is Ovi.. he's the only one of the bunch who can play liks excrement and still score goals and assist.. I think alot of his mistakes come from tying to do it all himself, once he saw his mates weren't up for the job..

Agree with a lot of the last paragraph, but as far as the first, fans of all teams always baffle me with this. They want to know why they lost and when the coach tells him what he thinks the reason(s) are the fans all scream, "AHHHHHH!!!! He's just making excuses!!! Fire him and all the players!!!!" Or if he puts the blame on his players it's, "Why is he throwing his players under the bus? Fire him and his crappy players!!!" Or if he puts the blame on himself it's, "What, the players don't get any blame for this?! Fire them and their crappy coach!!!"

Well, what did you ask for?

#13 DJSII

DJSII

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

"Hey Mike. . .heres 15 large, write a piece deflecting criticism from Bruge and George"

Pretty much sums it up

Oh, yeah. Columnists take bribes all the time because all owners, players, and coaches LOVE them and CAN'T WAIT to talk to them all the time.

#14 DJSII

DJSII

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

What I'd really like to see is Knuble and Arnott walk around the locker room together and show this article to every other player and ask them, "Now is this what you want to be known for or do you want to bust your butt, put in the extra work the coach doesn't ask for, and take this column and shove it up the writer's @$$?"

#15 gtrman12

gtrman12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,995 posts
  • LocationPurgatory! Welcome Fellow Caps fans.

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

What I'd really like to see is Knuble and Arnott walk around the locker room together and show this article to every other player and ask them, "Now is this what you want to be known for or do you want to bust your butt, put in the extra work the coach doesn't ask for, and take this column and shove it up the writer's @$$?"

Too late now. Wish that had all happened during the TBL series, but is was meant to be.

We play a system where teams get probably more shots the way we play but most of them are from the outside, we’ll allow those. In some ways that might be better for this particular goaltender.

- George "I know nothing about hockey or probability" McPhee

In a time of universal deceit -- telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

- George Orwell

#16 6th_attacker

6th_attacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

I don't think it could've been said any better than that. These guys aren't mites; they're grown men who make millions of dollars to play HOCKEY. BB shouldn't need to babysit and instill discipline in his players. You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink it. Maybe he should have milk and cookies ready on the bench to give out after a good shift. When a pseudo-goon in Downie outscores your stars, something is wrong. It seems like the Lightning won every one on one battle along the boards like there's an inverse relationship between talent and effort for the Caps. They're coasting back to the blueline (to get onside) late in the 3rd down by 1 with time ticking away. Backstrom, Semin, it's like they didn't want to be out there because things got too hard. Schultz, don't let me get started with him. Don't get me wrong, I liked what I saw from Laich, Hendricks, Knuble, Chimera, Ovi (though a little too much at times), and Neuvy. You can't pin their shortcomings on BB. He's their coach, not their dad. At some point, these guys need to suck it up. Maybe Ted should start taking things away to get his message across, like the owner in 'Major League'; except that he doesn't have intentions on moving the team. They can clean all the bathrooms at VC after a poor effort lol. Semin might figure out why they're taking a bus to Miami to play the Panthers on the drive down.

#17 Detroit_Caps_1908

Detroit_Caps_1908

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

Oh, yeah. Columnists take bribes all the time because all owners, players, and coaches LOVE them and CAN'T WAIT to talk to them all the time.

Yes, ergo the term 'beat writer', 'press agent' etc. Ad deals with the papers, sources, etc.

While this true to some extent, you also took my sarcastic exaggeration a bit to literally, never assume that columnist are like us. Its their jobs to blend sensationalism with agenda and call it an opinion.

Keep in mind that nearly all outlets here support The Caps stand as a whole. . .Elsewhere, their on the lines with what we think. Kinda makes sense huh?

I cant call into his show as Im at work during that time (I can get away with almost anything at work except calling a radio station on a quiet floor), but it would be interesting to see how well he could stick with this view

"Life goes by pretty fast, if you don't stop to look around once in a while, and do what ever you want all the time, you could miss it" -- Parker

" . . . Drinking 15 beers and going to a hockey game can qualify as a relaxing night" -- Max

"This calls for a delicate blend of psychology, and extreme violence" -- Vivian

"Ministry is for fighting, RevCo is for ******* " -- Uncle Al

#18 Thextus

Thextus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:05 PM

Always remember, and never forget, that when you say the blame lies on the players, the players have no heart, the players don't care, etc., that is ALSO an indictment of the GM, who is the guy that brought them here.

And of their parents, who brought em into the world....and their parents, etc.
It's not about who scores or who plays defense, it's about winning. -- Tony Azevedo, Captain, US Water Polo Team

#19 SDurbano

SDurbano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:45 PM

And of their parents, who brought em into the world....and their parents, etc.

None of whom are employed by the Capitals to my knowledge, however................

#20 keystone111

keystone111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

This is the from the same guy who doesn't dare criticise Dan Snyder. Wise and the rest of the media elite like to stay in the good graces of these owners so they can get prime access. Don't underestimate Capitals management to become perennial whipping boys in the playoffs as long as the arena is filled. The Redskins could care less what goes on in the locker room or what POS players they put on the field, Fedex field is filled every week. As long as they can keep blaming the losses on bad bounches and poor play from star players they will.