Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BROWN-WC8

Bring Back the Decibel Meter!

102 posts in this topic

I agree.

The fake roulette for whatever section gets the loudest is completely ridiculous too. It's amazing they even try to pretend that it's going to be random when instantly the prize crew comes when it lands on the section.

All of the fancy technology and graphics at the Verizon Center are great, but last night it dawned on me that one of the most memorable items at the Cap Centre has been left in the rubble...the decibel meter. Sure, they can put up a fake graphic that pretends to count decibels when we're instructed to get loud, but it's not close to the same. I loved seeing game winning goals in overtime at the Cap Centre, and then looking up the big black walls to see how loud the crowd got. That little meter that probably ran on a potato battery and flashlights motivated me to get loud more than any "unleash the fury" or "get loud" messages ever will.

Bring it back! The technology probably costs about $3 at this point.

Also, I believe fake decibel meters should not be used at all in any situation except for maybe a showcase to show how sucky fake decibel meters are. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Your sir are not wrong. This is the only thing back then that would get me so motivated. I viewed it my task each game to personally cause the lights to flash. I also used to imagine the cells in my ear exploding one by one. Unleash the fury is weak. As a frequent nosebleeder, I felt it my duty to personally raise the volume on this thing. Was it about the 90s that it flashed? It's been so long.

I agree.

The fake roulette for whatever section gets the loudest is completely ridiculous too. It's amazing they even try to pretend that it's going to be random when instantly the prize crew comes when it lands on the section.

Sort of like an I-Pod delivering music, in my opinion.

I've been hoping for a return of the decibel meter for a long time.

At one point last year they put the camera on a hand-held db meter one of the staff was holding, and the response was pretty awesome.

I've been hoping for a return of the decibel meter for a long time.

At one point last year they put the camera on a hand-held db meter one of the staff was holding, and the response was pretty awesome.

Perhaps we should just bring one. Preferably about the size of 10 men.

All of the fancy technology and graphics at the Verizon Center are great, but last night it dawned on me that one of the most memorable items at the Cap Centre has been left in the rubble...the decibel meter. Sure, they can put up a fake graphic that pretends to count decibels when we're instructed to get loud, but it's not close to the same. I loved seeing game winning goals in overtime at the Cap Centre, and then looking up the big black walls to see how loud the crowd got. That little meter that probably ran on a potato battery and flashlights motivated me to get loud more than any "unleash the fury" or "get loud" messages ever will.

Also, I believe fake decibel meters should not be used at all in any situation except for maybe a showcase to show how sucky fake decibel meters are. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Your sir are not wrong. This is the only thing back then that would get me so motivated. I viewed it my task each game to personally cause the lights to flash. I also used to imagine the cells in my ear exploding one by one. Unleash the fury is weak. As a frequent nosebleeder, I felt it my duty to personally raise the volume on this thing. Was it about the 90s that it flashed? It's been so long.

i remember it getting to the 100-110 level on a couple very special occasions. i feel like maybe even low 110s once, but maybe i'm just remembering it too fondly.

Totally!

I commented on this at every game. Until the lady next to us gave me a lecture on how "it's just for fun, stop being so negative"

I wanted to respond - but my mother on the other side of me kept me in check....

Radio Shack

50 - 126 Db

49.99 plus shipping

Fits in the palm of your hand (Or the hands of six men, if that's the preferred way to carry it)

My dissenting opinion: I never liked it and I found it distracting. Plus, its readings seemed arbitrary.

Having said that, I would not mind if they put it back only because it seems like everyone here liked it and I am in the minority.

i remember it getting to the 100-110 level on a couple very special occasions. i feel like maybe even low 110s once, but maybe i'm just remember it too fondly.

Definitely saw it at 100 before for sure. I also remember that one game Lou F. laid someone out pretty bad and the Lou chant alone was able to set it off... Good times.

My dissenting opinion: I never liked it and I found it distracting. Plus, its readings seemed arbitrary.

Having said that, I would not mind if they put it back only because it seems like everyone here liked it and I am in the minority.

i respect your opinion, but i have to ask...how was it distracting? it was in the upper corners of the arena, far away from the play.

I believe that there are actually rules against them in the NHL these days. I remember reading that at one point, but have no proof whatsoever in this fact, and wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

Agreed, put in an actual decibel meter. While we're on the topic lets get rid of the kiss cam, shuffle game and all of the other lame, played out advertising gimmicks. More free chipotle burritos would be good though. Anyone remember last year when someone threw their free burrito on the ice?

Good Call! Way to bring up such an important issue!

When it first gets turned on, we should all yell "OH!" to test it.

It is really quiet during the anthem, should we do the "OH!" test then? :P

Agreed, put in an actual decibel meter. While we're on the topic lets get rid of the kiss cam, shuffle game and all of the other lame, played out advertising gimmicks. More free chipotle burritos would be good though. Anyone remember last year when someone threw their free burrito on the ice?

Throwing a Chipotle burrito, ESPECIALLY a free one, should be a felony.

Best. Thread. In. A. Long. Time.

agree 100% i never clap for the fake meter ever, i did "try" to make the siren lights go off on the old meter, loved it.........

Wow, I haven't thought about the decibel meter in a long time. I would love to see them put a real one back in Verizon. The fake graphic one to get the crowd loud is so cheesy. I support this initiative.

I think about how great that decibel meter was all the time. I definetly would scream louder to try to influence that meter when I was a kid. Who wants to organize a campaign to get Ted to put this in at Verizon?

[...]Was it about the 90s that it flashed? It's been so long.

Late 80's to early/mid 90's, if I recall aright...it was (for at least a good part of its history anyway) sponsored by the now-defunct Kuppenheimer men's wear chain.